Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Maya Leigh - A baby story

[I just found this draft of Maya's birth story on my blog.  I have no idea when I started it (maybe on maternity leave), but it's finally finished - 5 months later.  Glad I started it when I did because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have remembered some of these details.]


Maya Leigh was born on April 5, 2014 @12:27 p.m.  She weighed 8lb. 5 oz. and was 21 in. long

We feel SO incredibly blessed to have her part of our family!

Here's her "baby story" (men beware)

I was scheduled to be induced on Monday, April 7, but baby girl had other plans.  My contractions started around 3:00 a.m. Saturday morning, April 5.  I finally ended up telling Lee around 6:00 a.m. that we both needed to shower, get ready, and baby was coming.  By this time my contractions were only about 2-3 min. apart.  I also called my parents to come over to get the girls.  We ended up getting to the hospital around 7:00/7:30 (something around there).  I remember walking into the hospital and the chaplain came in over the intercom and said, "Let's stop and pause for a moment of prayer."  I told Lee, "Oh believe me, I am praying, but there is no way I'm stopping."  We got to the birthing center and the nurse at the desk says, "May I help you?"  I never know how to answer this question when coming in during labor.  Um..."I think I'm in labor."  Sure enough, after going through triage, they determined I was already 6 cm. and ready to be omitted.  My contractions were really strong at this point and I told them right away I wanted an epidural. 

Into our room we go.  I was SO thankful for the nurse who got my IV in on the first try!  That had NEVER happened before!  I told her right away, just FYI, they ALWAYS have trouble getting my IV in.  She did a great job!  Not much longer the lady came in to give me my epidural.  The contractions were really strong at this point and I just wanted some relief.  By the way, has anyone ever noticed they have these white boards on the wall and one of the things you can write down is "Your pain goal."  Um, no offense, but my pain goal is ZERO!  The nurse was like, you are doing so good and you are already at 6 cm., you can totally do this natural.  Sorry nurse, that's not how I role.  After my epidural, they told me the epidural would kick in in about 10-15 min.  The only problem was, it didn't kick in.  Nope!  I had a little bit of relief for a few min., but then they contractions got worse and worse again...as in the epidural was not working at all.

In the mean time, the Dr. came in and was going to break my water.  The only problem was even though I was really dilated the baby was too high and he was concerned if he broke my water the umbilical cord would come out and it would be a dangerous situation that could result in a C-section.  I told him to just wait then and let's see if the baby would drop.

But she was a stubborn little girl and just would not drop down.  The pain got worse.  I asked if they could redo my epidural.  My Dr. was scheduled to do a c-section for another patient, but he had delivered all our girls and said he would hold off on the c-section until our baby girl arrived.  After another try at the epidural he tried to break my water and they pushed hard on my belly so that the umbilical cord wouldn't come out.  Praise the Lord it didn't.  They told me to try & relax and baby girl would be here soon.  The only problem was, I couldn't relax.  Epidural #2 didn't take either.  Finally I couldn't take it any longer and told them I needed to get baby girl out.  I remember at one point screaming so loud and looking to Lee and thinking to myself, did I just do that?  It was like an out of body experience or something.  Thankfully only a few pushes and Maya Leigh was born into this world!  The Dr. literally said congratulations and then ran out of the room to start his c-section on his other patient. 

Lee stood up to get a few pictures of her on the scale.  And then I hear commotion.  People asking him if he was ok and if he needed some juice.  Yea, he said he started to get that narrowing tunnel feeling and all sound goes away.  Thankfully he didn't pass out!  Don't worry about me, I just had a baby, take care of my queasy husband:)

What can I say about Maya?  She is a sweet sweet girl!  She is smiling almost 99% of the time!  She is LOVED, probably overly loved by her sisters!  They do not leave her side when she is awake.  She sleeps!  Praise God she sleeps!  She goes with the flow, which is probably how all 4th babies are, but it's true and she is good at going with the flow.  Maya aka overachiever is already army crawling everywhere at 5 months old.  I guess she's just trying to keep up.  Blessed...so very blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment